Unwed parents are given the opportunity to sign a Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgement (PA) form at or near the time of a child's birth. The form may be completed and signed at:
A properly completed Paternity Acknowledgement form:
- Any Georgia birthing hospital at or near the time of the child's birth.
- The Vital records office in the county of the child's birth.
- The State Vital Records office in Atlanta.
- Parents may complete the PA form that was revised 07-08 anywhere as long as a Notary Public witnesses their signatures. In this situation, the parents are responsible to forward the completed PA form to the State Office of Vital Records. The Vital Records Office address is on the back of the PA form.
To learn more about the Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgement and the Georgia Paternity Acknowledgement Program, call (706)721-7001, or toll free 1-866-296-8262. You may also get more information at the following website: http://dcss.dhs.georgia.gov/child-access-visitation
- Helps establish the father and child relationship when the biological father is not married to the mother.
- Creates certain legal responsibilities for the mother, father and child.